I regularly advise clients on all matters related to estate planning, special needs planning, estate and trust administration, and elder law. I work closely with clients to identify their estate planning goals and prepare the necessary Wills and Trusts to implement my clients’ wishes.
I work in close partnership with my clients on the development of their estate plans. I understand that estate planning conversations about private family matters and finances may be uncomfortable. I meet my clients where they are and recognize that each family is unique. I am there to help.
My philosophy is holistic. I build a relationship with my clients and their families, so I have them covered legally and can jump right in should my clients experience an emergency. As part of the planning process, I offer a family meeting to help all family members and friends named as agents, personal representatives or trustees understand my client’s intentions.
To ensure my clients’ estate plans are properly implemented, I assist my clients with updating beneficiary designations and proper titling of assets. I work closely with the other advisers in their lives, such as their financial advisers, accountants and insurance advisers.
I understand that planning for special needs individuals is complex. Each case is specific to that person’s needs and abilities. I help families resolve concerns beyond legal matters. I prepare special needs trusts as the overarching plans for the entire life cycle of the individual. There are several types and I help clients choose appropriately. The trusts I draft are flexible to anticipate future changes in the law and government benefits.
I understand the importance of protecting continuing eligibility for available services, such as social security, medical assistance and services with the DDA, as well as home and community-based waivers.
Reviews About Verena:
She is excellent: efficient, timely, accurate, open to legal options to spend time to explain and offer as options for us, a good listener, pleasant to work with, collaborative at all times, respectful.
- J.D. University of Tennessee College of Law
- M.Sc. Computer Science, Vanderbilt University
- M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, Claremont University
- B.A. Mathematics, Bryn Mawr College
- Volunteer Attorney, Maryland Volunteer Legal Service (MVLS)
- Maple Lawn Farms Condominiums Board of Directors – since 2011
- FIRN, Inc. – Past Board Member
Bar and Court Admission & Other Accreditations
State Bar Admissions:
- Veterans Administration Accreditation
- Advanced Certification in Civil Mediation
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- American Bar Association, Section on Real Property, Trust and Estate Law (RPTE)
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- National Association of Estate Planners & Councils (NAEPC)
- Howard County Estate Planning Council (HCEPC)
Spanish, German and French